Thursday, April 18, 2019

Music, art, photography, gardens, family and friends

In today's NY Times there is an article by Oliver Sachs, the neurologist who wrote the book on which the movie Awakenings with Robbin Williams was based. Sacks died in 2015 but his work lives on, as do you and I. (I'm pretty sure that I'm still here. You?)

Musicophelia is another work by Sachs and which discusses how music affects people with Parkinson's disease. If you have Parkinson's disease, chances are you have grown a stronger appreciation and maybe even some skills in music, art,  writing or some other artistic pursuit. I've covered my experience with photography in this blog and I assure you this continues as an obsession that is now the heart of my daily existence. But I digress...

The  Times article describes Dr. Sachs' experience with his Parkinson's patients and their visits to gardens. Just taking a walk in a garden or garden environment has enabled Parkinson patients to overcome their symptoms while there. Music has had that affect on me at times. It's like the puzzle of my body is solved by the beat of the music. Coincidently, I live in a garden community that is more like a park than a New York City neighborhood, which it is. I love being outdoors this time of year. I'm going to test Dr. Sachs' findings. Could where you live affect how well you manage PD symptoms? 

Beyond the documented benefits explored by Dr. Sachs, I have an additional dimension that I continue to experience as having a positive affect on my life with this fucking disease. (Please allow me to express exactly how I feel.) And that is the affect some people have on my life. Family is part of it, but it goes beyond. And I am so very fortunate to have this benefit.

Photo  is a late morning fog lifting at Hudson Yards. 

No comments: