Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Sleep.

In continuing the last blog's train of thought, the next most important leg is getting the right amount of sleep. I don't know the medical reasons why sleep is so important, but there are doctors and other researchers who have spent their entire careers studying the science of sleep. (These people must be a riot at parties!) When it comes to sleep,nobody knows more than you and I do on what sleep or the lack thereof, means to a Parkinson's disease person. If I don't get enough sleep., I will not function. It's like the meds don't work. If I have a busy day planned, I know that it will not be a good day unless I get good sleep the night before.

This may also be true for people without PD, but I wouldn't know that now, would I? My guess is that Parkinson's amplifies the impact of a sleep deficit on a person. And its a matter of knowing your body and how it reacts to various stresses. Lack of sleep is a serious stress.

PD requires a certain amount of planning your schedule around sleep. I try to avoid multiple days on the go  by interspersing a day of rest at least every two or three days, or planning a shorter day for all the days on the go, like on vacation. I took the photo below the last time I visited Chicago. Can't wait to return soon.

No comments: