Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Exercise. Get Started. Do It Now.


This blog is about my personal successful experience, found through trial and error over 14 years of resisting Parkinson’s with a single minded determination to live a normal life, and not one dictated by some wimp ass disease.  I will show you what works and what has not. It’s possible that no one else knows about my llst of things that work. Possible but not likely. It would be more likely that a cure for PD has been discovered on an isolated mountain top in Tibet .  This is not a medical blog or a how to, but when I can insert some common sense discussion, I will. Some things are just too important to ignore.

So how did I tap into my bad attitude?

For me, it helps to humanize, or maybe it’s demonize, the enemy. If you have Parkinson’s, then you already know the enemy. It’s that thing that makes you feel like you have a terrible hangover every morning when you wake up. And you haven’t had a drink in a week. (Opportunity for a “good news, bad news” joke.)  The bad news is with Parkinson’s, you always wake up with a hangover. The good news is that with Parkinson’s you will wake up. (As opposed to diseases that will put you to sleep permanently.) Please allow my morbid humor as bad as it is. Thank you.

What we need to do now is get motivated to begin to resist PD. Motivation is what you get when you combine attitude with a pressing need for action and a belief that the action will help. My plan is to convince anyone who has PD and interest that there is a way to make life better, more enjoyable, less frustrating and less painful by taking from what I learned in 14 years of trial and error of resisting PD and holding that demon at  bay or even beating it back by reversing symptoms. I hope that the list of symptoms eliminated or reduced will motivate someone to action. I’m not saying that if you do what I did, your symptoms will react the same way. This is unlikely since most people with PD do not share all symptoms. At least I don’t think so. I never did a survey.

First, and, to me, most important was rebuilding my muscles after my right side was reduced in size and strength by 50 percent in my estimation.  I already mentioned that. I hope to address the specifics of the exercise program as soon as I clear it with one or two personal trainers, even though I did not use a personal trainer. I simply do not want provide this type of information that could be inappropriate for some people, especially if someone is older and has no experience with intense physical activity. I do not want to be responsible for your heart attack.

Keep in mind that I have had a very active physical life starting before high school, continuing through college, then right through my entire adult life. My greatest physical achievement was when I was 35 and ran a full 26.2 mile marathon in Newport Rhode Island in 4 hours, 11 minutes and 50 seconds, coming in around 1600th in a field of around 2500 runners. In addition to running, I played tennis, racket ball and squash, occasional softball and terrible golf. I was also  an aggressive water and snow skier, swam laps and lifted light weights to keep my body trim and fit. So in this regard, I knew and know my body and what it needs to feel good,, look good and stay healthy and probably why I was so freaked out about my muscle atrophy and developed an insane determination to stop the atrophy and repair the damage.

If you know your body and it’s limitations and understand how to treat it, get off your butt and get started exercising. It doesn’t matter what you do to get started, but starting an exercise program is the first step to feeling much better.  

Start exercising. Do it now.

If you need inspiration, google:

Changing Course: Jimmy Choi”s Story

If that doesn’t inspire you, nothing will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgRDYZoUnac

No comments: