Monday, July 23, 2018

You Have a Bad Attitude. This Is Good.


Developing the attitude necessary to do everything possible to resist PD is not a process where you wake up one morning and you decide you have a new attitude. You need to find the attitude that works instinctively for you. You know, something that comes natural. For me, I’m afraid it was a bad attitude that was recognized early on. I seem to remember my mother warning me that as a teen ager I had a bad attitude and I should watch it. (Love you Mom. Mom just celebrated her 96th birthday.) I distinctly remember one of my football coaches saying, “You know what I like about you? Your bad attitude. That chip on your shoulder.”  I don’t know if having a certain attitude is a prerequisite for fighting Parkinson’s or a good idea for everyone because we are all different and our motivation triggers may be different. Look for what gets you going or sets you off. Find that chip on your shoulder. Use it to resist PD.

For me, having a bad attitude is good. Having a short fuse also helps. Having no patience is one of my faults as a person. With Parkinson’s, this is a virtue. I take this flaw, this negative, and use it to motivate action to stop whatever is happening to me because of PD.  Now combine that flaw with another flaw of mine, the need to get even, and you have a winner, and a real bad attitude. Now focus that, magnify it. Get obsessed with it. And aim it at what makes you miserable: you got it! PD. (Try not to aim anywhere else with this attitude. It might be dangerous!) I have seen psychological profiles of people with PD and that use terms like irritable, ill tempered, and crabby. (You gotta problem with that?)

There you have me in a capsule. An impatient, revengeful, and sometimes crabby old man with a bad attitude. The perfect profile to resist Parkinson’s.

Next, I will show you how to make your bad attitude work for you, just as I found that it works for me. More proof that symptoms can be beaten back through hard work and bad attitude. See recent photo of fully recovered muscle that was previously withered to less than half its current condition.
Exercise to combat Parkinson's Disease
Exercise to combat Parkinson's Disease

6 comments:

LiNDA Bebe said...

Well, not bad for an old guy, haha John, just joking. Don’t forget I knew you when you were really hunky. ๐Ÿคฃ Don’t you love it when people say.......you look good.......for your age!!!!!! Ha, we probably look better than half the people I saw on the beach the other day., half our ages๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒand I am not joking.

Vintage Lady said...

And I am sure they didn’t have PD.

Vintage Lady said...

I am confused with this set up. Can’t back to your blog. Uhhhh

John Poblocki said...

Reply to Vintage Lady. I don't have an answer to how to get back to the blog from comments. I'm still trying to make all this work smoothly. If I find an answer, I will let you know. Thanks for commenting. It's one way to gauge the interest of the blog readers. We have over 900 page views but all seem to originate from Facebook. Onward!

John Poblocki said...

Hi Linda,
City Hall seems like yesterday! Thanks for your reply and reminiscing. Still love the RI beaches.

Unknown said...

Your blog is going to motivate a lot of people to exercise and do more activities! I enjoyed reading it. - Linda