Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Just Who Do You Think You Are?


My first neurologist ordered an MRI of my brain in  2005. Five weeks later, I still could not get the results. I think that she was convinced that I had something called essential tremor which is a catchall term applied to any neurological disorder that doesn’t fit anywhere else. You would think in this day of genetics and DNA., every disease would have a unique profile and characteristics along with a test that determined whether or not one had that disease. But alas, this is not to be. Especially with PD. I did not yet have an understanding of what PD is and is not. After weeks of no response from the neuro doc’s staff I was ready to be rude. So I raised my voice and threatened to sit in their office until I got the results, but the immediate response was "Just who do you think you are? " While I was wondering who I was, they said the doctor was still on vacation for a couple of weeks (apparently a couple is any number greater than 2.) and I would have to wait. When the doc finally returned, she wanted me to come in for further tests (What, and wait another couple of months to get the results?).  All I wanted to know was if I had a brain tumor. (I did not). Nor did I go back to a doctor who could go away for “a couple of weeks,”  actually be gone for five and leave a patient who had Parkinson’s wondering if he had a brain tumor while she relaxed and thought he had essential tremor, not to mention that the patient thought he had ALS and would soon be tested for it.

So I started searching for another neurologist. My daughter helped with a recommendation from another doctor with whom she worked. But it took a while to get an appointment; and all the while, being an engineer by education, I was searching for an exact answer to what was causing the symptoms that were getting  more annoying. My right side muscles began atrophying. I didn’t realize it, but my growing PD problem was now shutting down the nerve connections to portions of my muscles. I was losing muscle size and strength and getting weak.

The symptoms were aligning themselves with ALS (Lou Gehrig Disease) more than with any other disease. I read more than I wanted to know and became sort of an expert in ALS. I remember being very distracted at work and at home. It is not a topic for casual conversation at either place.  It is also not recommended reading. Ever. That includes Tuesdays With Morrie.  On my first visit to the second neurologist, I explained what my symptoms were and he said that he wanted to get one test out of the  way. I already knew what test it was. We walked down a very lonely hallway to a small room with the machine that had one purpose and one test. I was wishing that I had someone with me. I knew the results would be immediate.

The doctor stuck some needle probes into my right side and turned on the current that tingled severely and would determine if I had ALS. There were red lights flashing, needle gauges pointing and beeping noises. I think. While the current was running and he seemed to be taking readings off a printout, he started typing into a computer. I could see the screen over his shoulder and saw what he typed. He typed something that concluded the patient tested positive for ALS. Let that sink in for a minute.

Stay tuned for more fun in my next installment.
Photo is Cold Spring Harbor at sunset in July 2018


Sunset Cold Spring Harbor Photography
Cold Spring Harbor,  July 2018

No comments: