Monday, October 8, 2018

Tai Chi on sale


If you or someone you know has Parkinson’s and is having difficulty getting started with anything that sounds like, looks like, smells like or rhymes with exercise, despite my constant harangues and diatribes in some of my bloggings, I have an opportunity to help get you, him or her moving and possibly enjoying it. No, I’m not kidding. Read on!

Go to www.TryGreatCourses.com and find the “Essentials of Tai Chi and Qigong.” This course offered on line via streaming or with a DVD format. The latter does not require a computer, just that thing you use to watch movies on your TV. Wait, it gets better. There is an amazing sale for this Tai Chi instruction of several hours for $25 for streaming on your PC or $35 for the DVD format marked down from $270! My lucky day since I had considered signing up for a local in-person Tai Chi class for $450 for three months.

I tried it earlier today and I am more that satisfied that I invested $25 very wisely. What I want is to improve my sense of balance and learn how to relax through the meditative aspects of these ancient Chinese movements.

The people behind this and dozens of other programs also offer similar courses in everything from Building Great Sentences (I know what you are thinking about my sentences. Just stop it!) to Great Ideas of Philosophy and  The Joy of Mathematics. They partner with other people like National Geographic and The Culinary Institute of America.

There is one hitch. The sale price of $25 or $35 (Regular price is $270.) is only good until October 25th. To be honest with you, I have very limited expectations that anyone with Parkinson’s who is not exercising to help themselves have a better life, will try Tai Chi. I’m trying it at the recommendation of my new Parkinson’s doctor at Columbia University Hospital Neurology Department.

Ask your Parkinson’s doctor if he or she recommends Tai Chi. If they don’t know about it, you need to find a new doctor.

Give it a shot. You’ve got nothing to lose except feeling shitty.
Speaking of shots, here is a pretty nice one of the Whitestone Bridge linking Queens and The Bronx in New York City. Yes, I have Parkinson's. It does not keep me from what I love to do. See more about my photography at NYUrbanimages.com .

No comments: