Wednesday, October 31, 2018

My Rush Hour Revelation


Remember back when I wrote about my bad attitude? I still have it. I think. You noticed the hesitation? This is why. So I was heading to Grand Central by New York City subway to catch a Metro North train to travel upstate to visit my son. I needed a lot of camera equipment because he and I would be searching out some interesting venues to photo.  Altogether, my camera case on wheels weighed about 25 pounds. I also carried an overnight bag. And when I travel on public transportation, I use a cane just as a precaution in crowded stairways, platforms, etc. Getting knocked down is not only embarrassing; it can kill you. The only mistake I made was travelling at rush hour, which can also kill you.

My first hint was before I even entered the subway stairs near my house when a woman who was coming towards me with a crazed look had the option of waiting a split second to allow me to pass through a narrow sidewalk aisle or pushing forward, which required that she put her shoulder in my chest, drive like a fullback and attempt to push me out of her impatient way. Luckily, I anticipated her actions and braced for the impact. We collided hard. She bounced off my chest and simply continued on her way as though it was necessary and part of her routine to intentionally push into a man walking with a cane and heavy bags.

She was oblivious that she had caused another person to feel her intentional collision. Don’t get me wrong. I was not knocked off my feet or hurt in any way. But a polite word would have been what a civilized person would instinctively uttered. Then, as soon as the first rude woman continued on her oblivious way, a second woman, probably the friend of the first woman, repeated what her friend did.  A bystander saw what I experienced, winced in sympathy and shook his head. After the impact with the second woman, I stopped and turned around to confront the second rude woman about her intentionally shoving what appeared as an unstable man who was moving slower than these women thought was acceptable, but she had also scurried off on her rude way.

Over the course of the rest of my two-hour trip each way, I had to experience rush hour rudeness that I never realized was so prevalent. I guess you have to look and act feeble to experience. Two people actually kicked my cane to get it out of their way. I won’t bore you with more details, but rush hour apparently turns some New Yorkers into thugs. And, I’m afraid that based on my limited survey that day, violation is heavily skewed to the female population. This makes it impossible to fight back of course.

Back to my bad attitude. By the end of my return trip, I was prepared to meet anyone who tested me with a pushback at least three times as hard as anyone shoved into me, gender notwithstanding. Fortunately, being prepared to do something and doing something are distinctly separate actions. So despite my bad attitude, and my Parkinson’s, I chose to experience the rudeness of rush-hour as a spectator. At least for now. Deep down inside, I know that the two rude women are not typical New Yorkers, (They are probably French tourists.) and except during rush-hour, may not even be rude.

That may be another benefit of Parkinson’s. The ability for PD patients to see the world around us in a way others may not be able to.  We remember our pre-PD  world as interesting, enjoyable and full of people we admire and love. Along with a few rude people who snuck in.  And with Parkinson’s, the world is still interesting, enjoyable and filled with the same people. Only you appreciate everything more. Both the old life and the challenge of each new day.

The point is, don’t give in to Parkinson’s. Don’t let your health condition change who you are and the way you see the world.  Enjoy your life and the world and people around you. To live any other way means Parkinson’s has won the battle. 

Enjoy the photo of Kaaterskill Falls in upstate New York and visit NYUrbanimages.com and Instagram #LakeCharg .

No comments: