Thursday, August 16, 2018

If you have Parkinson's Disease, never, ever complain. Read why in my blog.


I will admit it. Researching Parkinson’s disease for this blog is a lot of work. I just can’t write about my experience AND do the necessary research and prep to do all this right. (Well I probably could if I weren’t so lazy.) Fortunately, I have an inhouse research department consisting of my mother (96 years of age and sharp as a tack. She reads the Wall Street Journal cover to cover every day (along with two local newspapers) plus a few books a month for good measure.) and a sister (a year or so older than me. She ran a elderly day care center in New England for about 25 years before selling the business and retiring to Florida. She knows more about this stuff than she gives herself credit for.) who pitch-in to help with research and provide me with leads. They both don’t realize how much I appreciate them.  Just knowing they are behind me is enough to make me feel good. My sister has sent a number of articles on exercise and its benefits for Parkinson’s patients. Recently, my Mother came across a very relevant article in a New England newspaper describing the work of a company founded by a personal trainer and a nurse. Together they have put together books and DVD’s on how to fight those annoying PD symptoms with exercise. Google “Delay the Disease” or search that phrase on Amazon. I have not yet looked into the details, but it appears as though that program and my exercise recommendations are very similar. Is anyone familiar with Delay the Disease? I would like to learn more. I will report back to you when I do.


I am also researching for the best exercise equipment for PD people. Right now I am using a multi-station universal with adjustable weight stacks. I bought it new but the seller got confused and sent two. After trying for a week or two to give one back, the Chicago based company told me to keep it. I gave it to a friend. But he doesn’t look like he uses it. Sorry, got off track. I also use an elliptical trainer,, free weights and an recumbent bike. Oh, plus a mat for ab work. That’s a healthy amount of gym equipment, way more than the average American amateur athlete, let alone that I am a crotchety old guy . Cost and space required are  more than considerations. They are battle cries between spouses. My wife is slowly but surely plotting to overthrow my gymnasium empire. If she actually tries, you may see me on the evening news. (just kidding honey.) My wife would never try do that. But I’m smart enough to  never say never.

So in self-defense and as a public service, I had Amazon deliver a simple canvas belt system called KTX. Early trial are promising. That’s me in the photo trying it out



Full report coming your way soon.



Lastly, on the CBS Sunday Morning Show this week there was a story about a medical device that enables people paralyzed from the waste down to sort of walk. A woman whose legs and bladder recently became paralyzed due to a botched medical procedure said she was grateful and fortunate compared to someone who is quadriplegic and mentally disabled. And I’m thinking about the minor inconveniences of Parkinson’s such as difficulty standing up. Hell, I can not only standup, I can walk! I have absolutely nothing to complain about. 

Nothing.  
KTX Belt system use to beat Parkinson's Disease
KTX Belt system to beat Parkinson's Disease 



KTX Belt system use to beat Parkinson's Disease


Compared to what this woman goes through each day, Parkinson's is just a little worse than a mosquito bite. No complaints allowed. It's not that bad and frankly, my dear, I don't give a shit
If you have PD, be well and never, ever, complain.

No comments: