Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Parkinson's Disease, Photography and the Life of Pi



I am obsessed with photography. I know that sounds like hyperbole or exaggeration. It’s not. I think about it, read about it, take private lessons for it, watch videos about it. Can’t get enough of it. The intensity grows in relation to the length of time I have had Parkinson’s disease. And I found that I can use this passion as a tool to help me ignore the inconvenience of my least favorite disease. Read on for more about how my photography is closely related to my PD.

On my last visit to my doctor, (done every 90 days) while he was explaining my case history to an intern visiting that day, I told them about my theory that my photography took a major leap in quality around the time  Parkinson’s decided to pay me a permanent visit. I was wondering if he has seen any other evidence of artistic or creative abilities improving with PD. He was indirect in saying that he felt that some Parkinson’s drugs could cause some brain stimulation that could have that effect.  PD drugs are all focused on making the brain produce, stimulate or retain neurons that help transmit nerve signals to the body. A sensory neuron is an electrically charged cell in the brain that receives, processes and transmits signals such as visual images of  light, color interpretation and other optical messages to other parts of the brain. Could it be that for some people PD drugs create a higher level of visual stimulation and the result is more creativity as manifested in photography? Some days it seems that I have a camera in my head that is composing everything I see into imaginary photos. Don’t worry about this. It’s a valuable tool to stare down PD with. It makes me feel better and forget about Parkinson’s altogether.

PD drugs as a recreational visual arts drug? No. I also doubt anyone would look forward to the possibility of contracting Parkinson’s disease on the oft chance that they could improve their photography. Ha! On the other hand, if you already have PD and you notice that you are producing better quality photos, you can thank me for pointing this out.

Oh, one more thing. It might or might not be a coincidence that I bought a new camera around the time we introduced my body to a new brain drug. It doesn’t matter. I just prefer the entirely plausible story that my PD drugs made me a better photographer. Sort of like the question at the end of the book, Life of Pi. Which story do you want to believe?

I believe.
Photography Times Square New York City
Times Square NYC

No comments: