Friday, August 3, 2018

Tired of taking shit from PD. Abs that are absolutely the best I ever had. And yes, that rumor is true. (Or how I got to be better in bed.)


Parkinson’s disease attacks the body through the brain by destroying the brain’s ability to send nerve impulses to the body’s muscles. Sounds nasty, right? (There is no pain involved, so it could be worse. Always look for the bright side.) However, what if you lose the ability to send muscles all the impulses needed to do certain things like flex or contract so you can move or pick something up, button your shirt, write, type, pour a glass of wine.? (Get the picture?)

When that happens, life becomes a little more challenging. If you simply don’t exercise or don’t exercise intensely enough, you are giving PD a head start at putting you in a wheel chair. Why would you do that? No, seriously. Why? When you look in a mirror at your naked body after you have had PD for a few years, remember what it looked like before PD decided it wanted you to look like a decimated cadaver. Then get pissed off and do something about it.

If you exercise intensely, (intensely is the operative word here) you can strengthen those parts of the muscle that still get impulses to offset what you have lost to Parkinson’s. I don’t care what your age is. You can regain muscle mass and strength. You can rebuild your body and feel good about it. Based on my experience, I firmly believe that you can teach muscles to develop new nerve paths and force them to do  what you want them to do. It just takes a lot of work. ( That is spelled “A LOT”)  I discovered the relationship between reducing or reversing symptoms and intense exercise when I decided to rebuild my muscles that were atrophied to the point of scaring me. And I don’t scare easily. (Not true.) I exercised longer and more intensely and as I rebuilt my muscle mass and strength, especially my abs.  I was amazed that some symptoms just disappeared. That’s right. Disappeared. As I did that, I realized that I was staring down Parkinson’s and putting years between me and a wheel chair. Maybe even never needing such a device.

Here is how I got better in bed. A typical loss of strength for an average PD patient is the strength to move your body in bed.  I know, this sounds strange, but it is very real and this symptom in the last two years became very problematic for me personally. “Do you have difficulty changing position in bed?” This is a  standard benchmark question doctors ask to check on PD progression. For me, over a period of time, it became very hard to change position and location once in bed. It looked like it was a battle that I was losing. I got fed up with this sympton and tired of taking shit from my little friend, PD. It was then I decided this had to change. So I tested muscles to isolate those used to move in bed and then set out to  double the strength of these through a very intense and extended routine focusing on building strength in my abs, triceps, legs  and shoulders.

As I developed new muscle and strength it was apparent that I needed even more improvement in my abs. So I went about developing abnormal abs. (That was too easy.) My abs were sore 24 X 7 and still are., but you can literally see the transformation in the attached photos. I’m feeling real good about building muscles beyond what they were before I had PD. Did you catch that? I have more ab muscle now than I  ever had with or without PD. Take that PD! More on the transition.  While I was at it, I thought that losing an additional 15 pounds can  be of help when I try to lift my fat ass and then move about the bed.  It took more than two months but I can now move so much easier when I want to change position in bed and also in general. This morning I weighed in at 174 pounds (at 6 feet tall), the weight I had as a sophomore in high school.  This entire experience is just more proof that if you are determined enough, you can reverse Parkinson’s symptoms. What do you have to lose? A wheel chair? Sure there are limits to everything. Don’t focus on the limits. Focus how to get to the limit and then focus on moving the limit.

Do it. Your body will thank you in more ways than one.
Abdominal muscle photos are discussed in the body of the blog.

Abdominal Workout to beat Parkinson's Disease



Abdominal Workout to beat Parkinson's Disease



No comments: