Tuesday, August 21, 2018

In the grand scheme of life, tiredness is not all that bad for a Parkinson's disease symptom.


My body does not respond well to heat. What seems to happen is that whatever Parkinson’s disease symptoms, which pop up every once in a while, will amplify because of intense summer heat. The overriding symptom for me is a debilitating tiredness. But I know how to handle and make it disappear. This sensation is also a medicinal side effect of PD fighting drugs. Fact is I don’t need to know where symptoms or side effect comes from, just how do I manage around them if I want to experience a normal day. Of course, removing the heat by moving to Alaska would most likely reduce or eliminate the annoyance of tiredness or, putting it another way, a lack of energy. But my grandchildren don’t live in Alaska.

Strangely enough, it is exercise which uses energy that works to provide energy. I think the energy is  ready and waiting to be tapped. Exercise seems to stimulate the nerve paths from the brain to the muscles and the muscles provide feedback to the brain that says we are not really tired. It’s just the nerve message system that doesn’t work when it is hot.

Yesterday the hot and humid weather let up a bit and temps were in the  70’s. Not cool, but not as hot as last week. My sluggish muscles which apparently had not been working because of the heat, were working almost 100% normal. It was very clear that this symptom was gone yesterday because I had to walk to a dentist appointment and walking as fast as I could took 30 minutes. But I am not 100% sure that the slightly cooler temps were the reason. It was just a bit cooler; it wasn’t cool.

Over the last 4 days I had also changed my exercise routine to almost exclusively the TRX system. It is possible that the new and extremely intense system also contributed. There is no way to tell yet for sure.

There is possibly some good news and bad news. Good news could be that TRX works at a higher level of intensity for people like me who are still fit and strong enough to use it. The bad news is that it could be too strenuous for a lot of people who have to manage their Parkinson’s exercise program to their capabilities.

Need more time to evaluate the TRX system. One very positive that is important to me is the large number of balance improvement exercises available. I will focus on evaluating these for Parkinson’s people.



Photo is the church across Church Street from the World Trade Center site in New York City.
Photo is the church across Church Street from the World Trade Center site in New York City.

No comments: