Friday, August 17, 2018

Ludwig, you must exercise. TRX can help you reverse Parkinson's disease symptoms.


I thought I was in tip-top condition. After all, with averaging almost two hours a day of gym time virtually every day, I was working hard and my body was showing results. My weight was down to 174 from 195 at the beginning of this year and my waist was down to 33 from 36”.. My body was the size it was in high school. Then I tried the TRX system. That’s when I realized that my exercise program needed a makeover. TRX is a simple, inexpensive and time effective exercise system used by the military (according to the sales material),

The system depends on a single strap which connects to a stable point in your gym (which could also be your living room, bedroom or kitchen, or that tree in your backyard.)  That strap then connects to two straps, one for each arm, and occasionally for each leg. It is a lack of rigidity that causes your body to continuously work hard to stabilize and balance itself.

Now pay attention, Parkinson people. If you are not yet challenged by your body to maintain balance, you probably will be. And when that happens, occasionally you will find yourself looking up at people looking down at you and trying to help you up because you fell. It’s one of the more unpleasant symptoms of PD, notwithstanding the helpful nature of New Yorkers willing to lend you a hand. (That’s not sarcasm. New Yorkers are ready to spring into action whenever a fellow human is in trouble. I have experienced it on two memorable occasions. Once when I was hit by a truck while crossing Second Avenue and a crowd of people all tried to help protect me as I laid in the gutter from cars in the street and kept me dry under their umbrellas while they stood in the pouring rain until an ambulance arrived. Another time, I fell down a flight of stairs in the 63rd Street subway. A young man not only picked me up within one second of my fall, he helped me on my train while telling anyone who would listen what a tough old man I was., but I digress…) Knowing how to remain upright can be important. My Dad fell down a flight of concrete stairs mostly using his head to absorb the impact in his 80’s, and while he lived to 90, I know his last years would have been a whole lot better (and so much easier on my Mother) had he not fallen. I don’t know if it’s possible to teach your sense of balance to do it’s job once Parkinsoln’s tries to take it away. But I’m not going to wait until someone figures that out. It looks like the TRX system can help train my sense of balance. If it does not, I haven’t lost anything because the rest of the system is worth the price.

I have now used the TRX two days in a row. The typical (if there is such a thing) workout lasts just between 15 and 30 minutes. minutes. Since my muscles work better if I exercise every day, I plan to alternate between my gym equipment as described in last night’s blog and TRX:. Unlike the way my gym stuff works with no effort other than you isolating a muscle or three and working that, with TRX you have to strain virtually every muscle just to keep your balance. This uses so much more effort that after 15 minutes, you will looking for an excuse like tying your shoe just so you will be able to sneak a little recovery.

I’m going to explore those exercises that seem geared to help with Parkinson’s symptoms and report back.

And, of course, don’t forget the aerobic exercises. There is no stopping the progression of Parkinson’s disease symptoms EXCEPT IF YOU EXERCISE.

 ITS UP TO YOU.


ee you soon.



JP

No comments: