Sunday, August 12, 2018

IN THIS BLOG: Two readers will begin the resisting Parkinson’s program to reverse symptoms this week. Why you should exercise without clothes. And perhaps you should start a blog about sex.


That is a lot to cover so let’s get right to it.

Great news. When I launched this blog I did so hoping to share my experience with Parkinson’s disease with someone who could benefit from what I learned over 14 years of trying to reduce symptoms by trial and error. I had heard about three people who had recently been diagnosed with Parkinson’s and were given ridiculous medical advice from their non-Parkinson doctors.. Advice like there is no cure and there is nothing you can do. This got me so angry and it motivated me to write a blog so that everyone who read it would understand a whole lot more than the doctors treating these  three poor victims of bad medicine. In an early posting I wrote that if I could have a positive affect on just one person, I would be happy. This week, I found out that at least two people with PD are going to try to follow what I have found to work for me. I will not identify anyone (if you have followed me you know that I do not name names) so they can use my program unfettered.  I will begin their program with at least one or two blogs a week that detail a specific action on  exercising, resting, stress relieving, taking medications, dieting, hydrating, concentrating and clear thinking; not to mention preparing for the worst but expecting the best. I will also offer advice for all readers that you can use to improve your strength and physique. I’m pretty sure that everyone who follows my advice will benefit. If not, you will get your money back. I promise. The rest of the blogs will continue with what it’s like to have Parkinson’s, on a personal level. And, of course, you will have to tolerate my sarcasm, absurdities and  strange sense of humor along with my lack of respect for conventional thinking and authority. Oh, and don’t forget my photography, which is the main passion in my life.

I will continue with stressing exercise as the base upon which Parkinson’s must be challenged. You cannot underestimate the need to keep physically strong and keep muscles from atrophying. Even if all you do is slow down the rate at which atrophy occurs, it is what I have found is most obvious and visible element of any anti-Parkinson’s program, therefor the most important psychologically.. I will offer still photos that will focus on specific muscles that are important in movement and balance.

In an anti-Parkinson’s exercise program, muscles, whether they be yours, mine or someone else’s, should not be hidden beneath a tee-shirt or gym clothes while exercising. You want to focus on what needs improvement and relate hard work with muscle size and shape. I find a great deal of motivation from watching my muscles flex when working out and beat back Parkinson’s for one more day. Try this bit of psychology and see if it works for you. If you can work out at home or in a private spot, exercise without clothes, or try wearing a bathing suit at your gym.. If anyone objects, tell them I approved it as part of your anti-Parkinson’s exercise program. If anyone still objects, suggest that they get a life. Then find a new gym. At first you will feel self-conscious, but you will eventually get familiar with those all important muscles and notice that your exercise program is working. This will also help you identify where atrophy is sneaking up on you and where you need to focus. Just yesterday, I noticed that my biceps have shrunk  (again), so  I’ll focus more  work there. This will keep you exercising. The motivational benefits are amazing.

Before we start specific exercises, I ask that you talk to your doctor about how to approach a new exercise program specifically for resisting Parkinson’s. I plan to build up to an intense program but it will take weeks to reach a level where you see tangible results because we need to get you up to a base level. If the doctor isn’t supportive of exercise. Find a new doctor. That’s not a joke. Do it.

For the next two weeks, your assignment is to do aerobic activity each day (no days off) that causes you to sweat and breath harder than normal. Start with an easy paced 7 to 10 minutes and add 2 minutes each day so that at the end of  2  weeks you will have 35 to 38 minutes. Then back it down to 20 minutes a day but at a slightly higher pace. Any type of aerobic activity will work. I either ride a recumbent bike or use an elliptical trainer. You can also jog, walk as fast as you can (with or without your cane or walker), bicycle, swim the English Channel,, climb Mount Everest, etc. Do something you will like. Yes, sex will qualify as aerobic but only if it last for 25 minutes at high intensity. (If you can do that consistently, you probably don’t have Parkinson’s disease and you should write your own blog on how to do that.)

Be well.

JP
Photo is another view of the covered bridge outside of Kingston, NY.
Bridge in Kingston, New York NY
Bridge in Kingston, NY

No comments: